HORRIBLE SATURDAY, JUNE 13, 2009

WOW......That is all I can say about today. This has really been a Saturday for trying Mom's patience. First thing this morning, we arrived at the hospital about 9:15 for labs. Was told we would have to see the triage nurse because all our counts were in the critical level. We waited until lab results were in and called in for the review. We were told we would have to have 2 units of blood plus platelets starting at 2:00pm. Of course, we had nothing to occupy the wolfman's time while blood was being given, so we made a dash home to get the laptop computer. Arrived back at the hospital at 1:50pm.,were called into the transfusion unit at 2:20pm and vitals were taken. Heart rate was so fast, the monitor would not even measure it......caused a big commotion in the vitals room...plus temperature has risen to 101.9. They would not start the blood and platelets, so the sent us to the emergency room. Michael's favorite charge nurse was on duty in the transfusion unit, so she took us to the emergency room through the back way and got in to see a doctor in about 20 minutes. They have Wolfman hooked up to four bags of IV Solutions and a heart monitor. His heart rate is down to 145 which is alot better than it was when he came in. We haven't even started the blood and platelets,so it is going to be a long night. I may have to get me a second job here so I can pay the co-pay on his bill and parking fees......y'all have a great evening and we will let you know more tomorrow.

9:10pm The just came in and told us we were getting 3 units of blood and we should plan to spend the better part of the night here in the emergency room. I bet I don't have to be rocked to sleep when I finally get home. Maybe I can get a little sleep in this 'COMFORTABLE DINING CHAIR'. I still have to do powerpoint for tomorrow morning....guess I'll quit griping and get busy.
Love,
Terri

Love, Terri and Michael

1 comment:

  1. Hi Terri and Michael,
    I was forwarded this website from my sister n law whose friend sent it to her..My husband was diagnosed on May 1 with Ewings Sarcoma, he is 44 yrs. old. His started deep in his pelvic and by the time we found it the size had grown to the size of a football and had metastisized to lungs, abdomen, bone, nodes and down leg..(NOT GOOD) He has had 3 rounds of chemo so far and is doing good..This round (BIG DOG) has been the worse of the 3 so far..I would love to find out where your sons is and where it started from..Since this is a kids cancer it has been hard finding too much info on it..My husband (Lynn) is being treated at Presbytarian in Dallas and it's been great there..Dr. Modi has been in contact with MD Anderson, Mayo, Chicago, New York and his biopsies are being studied at Harvard now..I am so sorry that Michael has been so sick..My husband is taking Zophran, Ativan, and Prochlorperazine and so far has only thrown up a couple times..His counts after first treatment (big dog) bottomed out to .83 but rebounded so he could have his 5 day chemo round..That round he didn't rebound so fast and was borderline after 2 weeks but still got his 2nd round of Big Dog (red chemo)..But nausea is all being controlled..HE also rinses several times a day with a salt, soda, and water mixture that the hospital gives us and keeps his mouth sores to nothing..after first round he did get blisters in mouth and throat but the nurse ordered him: Diphenhydramine;Maalox:Lidocaine VS mixture...this numbs his mouth and throat so he can keep eating and drinking..I will put Michael on my husbands blog and I definately will keep up with michael..I pray that michael has a good blood count and that his platelets return to as normal as possible and God, please give MIchael the strength to keep fighting this terrible disease..And I pray that you give his stomach some peace to keep the food and liquids down..God Bless you and Your family...Lynn and Teresa Fulfer
    Oh by the way we are almost neighbors we are in Iowa Park..Lynn'blog is CaringBridge.org/visit/lynnfulfer

    ReplyDelete